Unit 7

REFLECTION

01/02/2018

01/02/2018

• project proposal writing workshops
  • look others proposal and find my inspiration
  • communicate ideas with friends

02/15/2018

02/15/2018

It was the draft submission deadline for unit 7 project proposal. I choose “Fusion” for my topic.

I will design a walkway between Leicester Square and China town, which is combine the style of British and Chinese, traditional and modern architecture.

The reason that I want to do it is I wish to explore the contrasting theme, different materials, different culture or different shape and combine it together. Explore the fusion of different architecture. The inspiration of this topic also comes from one of my previous project. It was about the colour that I choose. The British people think red symbolise anger. But in my country, red is a colour represents vivifying and joyous. It’s interesting that it has a complete different meaning between UK and my country.

I hope it will be a good project for me.

02/16/2018

02/16/2018

I was going to Durham to celebrate the Chinese New Year. I remember that I was take some photos in the Forbidden City, I tried to find them if I can use in my research.

Then I walk around Durham to find my inspiration. There is a building nearby the library is really cool, it use wood materials and glass. Really perfect to combine the modern elements and traditional elements.

26/02/2018

26/02/2018

• sketch model

We were make some sketch model this morning. It was a really quick work and I think I didn’t make it well. But I still looked what others do. It helped me a lot. Like one of my group member made a very beautiful landscape by folded and cut the paper.

• workshop

I didn’t go to workshop this afternoon. But I did make something with three materials. I was made a gate use foam board and plastic papers. But I think it was not good.

Then we shared our works between all of the class member. April was use wood to make a playful 3D puzzle in workshop and it was really nice. Gave me an inspiration of my model.

01/03/2018

01/03/2018

I was research on internet about the regional characteristic of architecture (Europe & Asia) this morning. And I realise that the using of materials in traditional architecture is really different between Europe and China (or Japan). In China, we always used wood. But in Europe they always used stone, etc.

In this afternoon, I have a sign-up tutorial with Alaistair. He comforted me about the school. Because I was rejected by BA architecture in CSM. He told me that may be the reason is my project is too dream that not fit in architecture. And he gave me an advise that which course I should choose between Interior and Spatial design in Chelsea and Branded space design in LCC. I will choose Chelsea.

He helped me to modification my proposal (I need to change some word order problem and finish it bibliography and action plan).

06/03/2018

06/03/2018

I was use metal stick to make a test model. The inspiration is from the playful 3D puzzle. I use two metal stick and make it different shape, then combine it in different ways together.

17/03/2018

17/03/2018

I was going to take some photos for my site. My site is a lane between Leicester and China town. It’s called Leicester Court. I got this advice about site from my friend April. Because Leicester Square is a place that have a British style of architecture, but China town has an atmosphere of China. So I think this place is quite fit my project.

I was hesitate between Leicester Court and Leicester Place. Leicester Place is really big lane but have an entry of a cenema (or theater? I don’t know.). So I finally choose the Leicester Court to do my site.

20/03/2018

I want to make a walkway which will be like a pavilion. There will have some different piles to support it. The traditional Chinese pavilion and the different piles from different countries.

• talk with friends about this project and get some more inspiration about my project.
  • find some useful materials like woods, plastic, metal,etc.

22/03/2018

I was do the project exchange with Lily and April, because me and April wasn’t here last time.

Lily told me to watch an animate movie which is called Spirited Away from Japan, there are a lot of transition between two different scenes, such as a door connected to reality and the place where monster’s live. April told me that I need to find a point of penetration of my project, such as windows, piles, some traditional object from the world, etc.

They told me different time have different styles, not just some same traditional things. I need to think about that.

There are some recommend,

• The bird in V&A museum
  • Architecture: Le Corbusier
  • Materials: bamboo
  • Renaissance

28/03/2018

I began to consider how to focus on a single special thing about the walkway, because April told me that I need to fine a point of penetration last time. I have considered about the pile, constellation, window, stairs, door, etc. Also I did a lot of research about pile, stairs, door, etc. And try to find some story about them.

I gave up the idea of pavilion, because it is just too boring and meaningless. I found that the different designs of doors are more interesting than others, so I decided to make a threshold which is use a look of different doors.

30/03/2018

I began to make some models about different door. (The test model is an idea when I think about Chinese plum blossom pile). It is difficult to make a small door. I used wood, metal sticks and PVC sticks.

05/04/2018

I was consider about use different doors and consist it together randomly, it is like the whole walkway is a threshold which is just consist by different doors. But April told me that it is a meaningless plan, I need to find out some significant order. So I began to research about the big dipper, the order in Chinese geomancy, etc. But I can’t decide it now. I have some trouble.

REFLECTIVE REVIEW Apirl 2018

微信图片_20180414193640.jpg.1

Reflective review

Step.2

The main theme of my project is ‘the Fusion’. The first idea in my mind is making a combination between the features of China and Europe in a single architecture. That reminds me about the Forbidden City which is one of the most famous architecture in China. Hence I did some research about the Forbidden City and try to learn some features of the old Chinese Palace. On the other hand, I also did some research about Milan Cathedral, because it is a typical and famous architecture in Europe.

After that, I considered to make a building which contains both Chinese and European elements. This is because the building contains features from different countries is creative. Also, I have experiences at making models of buildings. However, I want to try something new in my last project. Once, when I had lunch in Chinatown, I realized that there is an example of the fusion of different culture very close to me. As we know, Chinatown contain the concept of Chinese culture. Leicester Square is located next to Chinatown and it is a famous tourist area with some features of UK, such as cinema. Finally I changed my mind and decided to make a walkway between China and Leicester Square.

Furthermore, after I had a group talk with my friend, I realized that my idea of walkway is too wide and not creative. They told me that I need to find a point of penetration, not just the whole walkway which is too wide. So I began to consider how to focus on a single special thing about the walkway. I have considered about the pile, constellation, window, stairs, door, etc. Also I did a lot of research about pile, stairs, door, etc. And try to find some story about them. I had considered that the walkway will be like a pavilion and there are some different piles to support it. But I gave up this idea, because it is just too boring and meaningless. After that, I found that the different designs of doors are more interesting than others, so I decided to make a threshold which is use a look of different doors. Hence, as a consequence, I decided to make a walkway in the alley between Leicester Square and Chinatown, which is called Leicester Court, and especially focus on the different designs of the doors.

I did use metal to make a test model. The inspiration is from the playful 3D puzzle. I use two metal sticks and make it in different shape. Then combine it in different way together. It’s like a playful model and it’s also a threshold. I use that idea in my final model. I thought that the random frame is meaningless, so I want to find some order to place my doors. When I have a sign-up tutorial with Alaistair, he told me that it is not meaningless. Experience reflects multiple overlapping colours in a multi-coloured tourist area. Finally, I use some metal sticks to make the frame and stick (or hang on) different door.

10/04/2018

I have a sign-up tutorial with Alaistair. I told him that I have some trouble about the plan in my project. Then he told me the random shape is not meaningless. Experience reflects multiple overlapping colours in a multi-coloured tourist area. And he gave me some advises of my project. I think I get the idea.

• architect: Richard Wilson

I decide to use the shape of my first test model and add the door.

MATERIALS:

• woods
  • metal sticks
  • PVC sticks (workshop)
  • plastic (workshop)

exhibition text handout 13/04/2018

微信图片_20180414194320.jpg

Full name: LUOYI XU   pathway: ASD

Project title: The Fusion

Key word: walkway, threshold, door

The theme of my project is ‘Fusion’. I wish to use walkway to combine the different culture as a fusion. I choose to focus on different doors. Therefore my final outcome is a walkway that is a combination of different thresholds. The materials I used are metal, wood, plastic and some PVC sticks. The site of my walkway is an alleyway between Leicester Square and Chinatown which is called Leicester Court. I wish to give people an experience of different feeling that when they walk through different doors. Because each of the door has a different features from different countries, from traditional to modern.

12/04/2018

• Photography Day
  • get some very beautiful picture of my model
  • saw what other people's doing
  • some beautiful model from others
  • Jida made a model which used projector, and it is dynamic
  • Holly made a model about Depressive Disorder. It is very meaningful and interesting.

Evaluation

16/04/2018

When I considered about my project, I have considered to make a building which contains both Chinese and European element, because the building contains features from different countries is creative.  However, I want to try something new in my last project. Once, when I had lunch in Chinatown, I realized that there is an example of the fusion of different culture very close to me. As we know, Chinatown contain the concept of Chinese culture. Leicester Square is located next to Chinatown and it is a famous tourist area with some features of UK, such as cinema. Hence, I changed my mind and decided to make a walkway between China and Leicester Square.

If I have chance to start my project again, I may apply some elements about the “geomancy”. That is because I was interested in the concept of the “geomancy” in China and I think that can make my project more meaningful.

I think the sufficient research is the most successful part in my project, because I had hesitated to do some different projects and I chose the best of them. On the other hand, I think my time for the model making is not sufficient, because I decided my project too late to prepare for the model perfectly. That’s the part which is not successful for me because I always need plenty of time to make my models.

In my opinion, my strength is that I always get some ideas in my mind and I can draw up my ideas on paper fast. On the other side, I am not good at using some supporting software such as photoshop on computers. Also, it always takes me a long time to make my models.

If I need to develop my project, I want to try to make it to be a “pop-up” walkway. This idea emerged in my mind during my English test in UAL, because there is a reading about “pop-up” building and I was inspired by this reading. I think the concept of the “pop-up” walkway is so interesting that it is worth for me to consider how to make it come true base on my project.

Looking back on my project, I aware that there are so many imperfect parts that I could improve, but nothing is perfect as the time for the preparation is always limited. If I could have some time to improve my project, I would like to spend more time in considering the order of everything in my project in an aim to make the order itself to be meaningful, such as the order of Triones. Moreover, I may spend more time on research since I think it is always worth to spend time to do research.

I did achieve what I set out to do in my proposal. Although I changed my project to the walkway instead of the building in my proposal, I did obey the main idea of my proposal which is the fusion of the culture from different countries.

sketch model & test model

微信图片_20180312221759.jpg.1

微信图片_20180312222347.jpg

My site

微信图片_20180318062335.jpg

site.JPG

test model

微信图片_20180414115218.jpg

微信图片_20180414115239.jpg

Final model

LUOYI XU 2.jpg

LUOYI XU 1.jpg

微信图片_20180413143259.jpg

微信图片_20180413143247.jpg